8.21.2005

Re-introduce yourself (right on)

Today is my 30th birthday, so I thought this would be a good time to post something of a statement of intent for this blog, which I didn't do when I started it in June. Here goes:

Hello. My name is SoulReaper. That's not my Christian name, obviously... I chose it for my blogging name because it was already my Blabbermouth handle. It's the name of the last full-length song on the last Dissection album, "Storm of the Light's Bane", which is among my personal top ten of all time. I chose this name because it's a beautiful song, not because I approve of the Satanic gibberings or infamous actions of band leader Jon Nödtveidt. In fact, since I was a huge fan of his music before the horrific details of his private life become public, Dissection remains my greatest personal conflict in separating someone's art from their personal character.

The name of this blog, "Entartete Kunst," means "degenerate art" in German. It most directly refers to an initiative within the Nazi movement to debase any art which clashed with the Third Reich's ideals. Basically, works of a modern, abstract, non-classicist nature were deemed dangerous to the atavistic culture the Nazis were trying to inject into Germany, especially works by any non-Aryan (read: Jewish) artists. I selected this name for my blog for two reasons. First, I think it's a powerful example of what can happen when a society allows a temporarily dominant mindset to dictate what is and isn't good for the whole of that society. Second, the sorts of art in which I find the greatest meaning and interest are often those ignorantly derided by those in power - "liberals" and "conservatives" alike - as somehow degenerate, or harmful to the greater good.

My interests are not extremely confined, but I tend to prefer horror movies and heavy metal, transgressive venues of artistic expression typically scorned as the domain of emotionally turbulent teenage boys who wear too much black. Yes, I was one of those, and to some extent still am. But like any nerd worth his fan club card, I consider myself a bit of a historian and aesthete of each, frequently searching for both arcane, overlooked classics and current, forward-thinking creations. To a person who takes such "degenerate art" seriously, the imagery, concepts and tactics of even the most banal horror movies and heavy metal can be insightful or enjoyable, while any corruption of those core emotional values in the name of commerce is viewed with outright hostility. In my eyes, our society's worst influences come from sickeningly insincere board room products such as "Jeepers Creepers 2" or Limp Bizkit.

Above all, this blog is intended as a personal platform, as many others are. It is my forum for praising, bitching, informing or otherwise sharing what's been happening inside my head with anyone who cares to know. I don't think random people will come a-surfin' to it very often, and thus it is always intended for those friends and family who would ask, "Boy, I wonder what SoulReaper's up to?" I am assuming that if you've read this far, you're one of those. Thank you! I hope you enjoy reading my spew. You can always expect honesty here, even if it's of the uncomfortable kind. I undertand that it's possible that I'll say something that offends you on a personal level, and should that happen, you should feel free to take it up with me.

The other purpose of this blog is as a makeshift archive of reviews I've written. As you might be able to see, I have revamped all the old posts so that you may now read all of the reviews - the link will take you to the comments, where I've posted uncensored "writer's cut" versions of my opinionated drivel. I will do this from now on, starting with this piece on "Catch Without Arms" by Dredg.

Please visit as often as you like. I like to read your comments.

2 Comments:

Blogger SoulReaper said...

Dredg, "Catch Without Arms" (Interscope) ***

Proving it's possible to be emotional without being "emo," Dredg's third LP expands on the pop aspects of the California quartet's template.

Swimming in on Mark Engles' fluid U2-style guitar (and arrangement help from former Queensrÿche guitarist Chris DeGarmo!), "Ode To the Sun" kicks off the record with a stadium-sized chorus courtesy of singer Gavin Hayes. Hayes' smooth voice can veer close to something you'd expect over an Asia or Toto anthem, but without the blustery cheese. His sincerity helps sell otherwise maudlin lyrics like "If all else fails/If all turns to dust/Set sail/On a ship built from trust" ("Not That Simple").

The overall mood here is introspective, from the loungy "Zebraskin" to "Planting Seeds," gliding on the prominent pulse of Drew Roulette's bass. The "big" moments are just as affecting; the squalling delay on Engles's "Jamais Vu" solo would make both Kevin Shields and Danny Cavanagh jealous, and Chris Martin himself couldn't get the swooning, manic-depressive chorus of closer "Matroshka (The Ornament)" out of your skull.

Mainstream hard rock fans hold up The Deftones and Incubus as progressive paragons. But while Dredg orbits a calmer world, "Catch" might appeal to those fans, as well as to devotees of spacy outfits like The Mars Volta or Coheed & Cambria. Its succinct tunes may worry those fond of the band's proggier early albums, but its songcraft and dreamy atmosphere should win them over.

• Dredg perform with Communique and Veda at 5 p.m. Thursday at the Bottom Lounge, 3206 N. Wilton Ave., Chicago. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door. (866) 468-3401.

3:41 PM, August 21, 2005  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Well happy b-day!

I came here from a recommendation from your old chum Laura.

Interesting what you wrote. You may be too young to remember this, but I had to deal with Tipper Gore telling me my music was evil and should be banned. She apologized for it later, but there are a few things I can't accept an apology for. She indirectly broke up Judas Priest, buy setting in motion the "blame the musicians" crap.

I'm a huge fan of heavy metal, from the pioneers like Priest, Sabbath, Purple to the glam of the 80s like Motley Crue and Guns and Roses to the heavier stuff like Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, and one of my favs Cradle of Filth. Maiden's of course up there and I noticed you posted something about Maiden. I'll read that next.

1:53 PM, August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home