8.17.2005

Trigentennial pissings

OK, I got some good ideas. Yes, Laura, I will certainly have a beer, probably several. (And thank you!) No, Kyle, I will not kidnap Tom's brainchild like a slavering dingo. J.Ko - unfortunately, I'm just not that much of a gambler, and they've doubled the price of "Showgirls of Magic" since I was last in town. No, it's going to be the suggestions from Al and the mysterious "anonymous" that I think I'll synthesize into this post. Reflecting upon one's past decade is a cinch for a navel-gazer like myself. Here are the ten most significant things I've come to understand since I turned 20, all of which should be painfully obvious to you.

10. Be it a broken furnace or a broken heart, Piranha is never the solution. (In addition to being a classic Exodus song, Piranha's also an apparently defunct Brazilian liqueur flavored with the kola nut... it kept me warm many a night, and there appears to be no information about it anywhere on the internet.)

9. Scandinavians - especially Swedes - are metallically superior beings.

8. There are more humans on this planet every year, and with them, more diversity, more individuality and more potential for fresh ideas. But more humans also means more marginalization, more isolation and more potential terrorists.

7. Nice guys don't always finish last, but they do tend to finish in the bottom percentile.

6. When partying hard on the Reeperbahn, be wary of invitations for seafood from unfamiliar bottle blondes - and if you're staying several miles away, remember that the rail line shuts down at midnight.

5. Perseverance and resignation are not necessarily all that different, and it's occasionally possible to reach the same goal by employing either.

4. A viable, reasonably reliable weight-loss plan is readily available which does not involve sweating, vomiting or consuming anything designated "lo-fat."

3. There are probably aspects of your upbringing about which you are better not knowing.

2. If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

1. You can care about someone with all your heart for as long as you like, but that doesn't mean they'll ever give a shit. (I have the next decade to figure out whether you should let that stop you.)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Nice top ten lists. Hey, you heard of Nightwish?

1:55 PM, August 23, 2005  
Blogger SoulReaper said...

Heard of 'em? I think I stayed at the same hotel as they did for Wacken 2000. Tarja is one of the most beautiful women in metal, right up there with Floor Jansen and Johanna DePierre. I got all their shit, but still think "Oceanborn" is the best. The newer songs come off better live than on the albums.

11:22 PM, August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home