3.03.2006

Giving up for Lent

Last night, Opeth played at House of Blues. "An Evening With" Opeth. Long set, no openers, sold out weeks in advance. I was on the guest list and was actually parked on a street several blocks away from the venue prior to showtime. So why was I sitting on my ass at home while one of my favorite bands were playing minutes away from where I had previously been? Because I'm old.

The plan was to meet up with a comrade who lives downtown, then head to the venue and rock out. Of course, finding street parking downtown is ridiculous, and this being an area with which I'm completely unfamiliar, I got totally lost. But I found parking, dagnabbit. Then I had a dickens of a time finding my first destination, by which time I knew I would be late to the show and decided that I was tired. I would just skip Opeth, go home and cram more 1962-1964 Warhol into my head (for a current writing assignment). So I hung out with G for a bit, then went looking for my car, then drove around looking for the nearby expressway, and there you have it. What a fucking lame-o.

Honestly, I used to go out by myself to live shows all the time. I never thought anything of it; not many of my friends like the same music I do, nor are willing to get all riled up on a work night, nor can get into as many shows for free as I can. But around this time last year, I was hanging out frequently with a dazzling young lady who not only liked going to shows a lot, she was very knowledgable and opinionated about various types of music. Our tastes weren't identical, so it was good conversation and companionship. This lady could not understand how I could go to so many shows alone. Four months and two dumpings later, I started to agree with her. I started skipping shows I'd been looking forward to for months, using excuses like laziness, trying to save cash or missing having someone to pal around with. Other than the two fests I traveled to, I haven't been to any shows by myself since. I'm feeling very old these days.

And I am filling out another quiz, courtesy of my MySpace friend Jenny. So long, so easy to answer.

1. NAME ONE OF YOUR SCARS, HOW DID YOU GET IT !
Mervyn. I got it when I was trying to whittle in Cub Scout Day Camp and ended up jamming the knife blade between the index and middle finger knuckles on my left hand. A counselor ran me to the medical person with the knife still jiggling between the knuckles. Man, that sucker bled when they pulled it out.

2. WHAT IS ON THE WALLS IN YOUR ROOM?
Nothing yet, except paint and smoke residue.

3. WHAT DOES YOUR CELL PHONE LOOK LIKE?
A little silver cell phone.

4. WHAT MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO?
Lots. Yesterday's selections: Enforsaken, The Postal Service, Opeth, Anathema, Dälek, Prayer For Cleansing, Amorphis, Mos Def.

5. DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME YOU WERE BORN?
1o:35 a.m., I believe.

6. WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING RIGHT NOW?
That answer is private.

7. WHAT DO YOU MISS?
"Sealab 2021."

8. DO YOU GET SCARED IN THE DARK?
Sometimes, but it's never because of the dark.

9. THE LAST PERSON TO MAKE YOU CRY?
A lady who has been too busy to talk to me... for roughly five years now.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COLOGNE / PERFUME?
I think they pretty much all suck, especially when you go into an elevator and the stench is just hanging there. The aforementioned music-loving lady I dated last year had some pleasant stuff she got for free, but I don't know what it was called. That was OK.

11. WHAT KIND OF HAIR/EYE COLOR DO YOU LIKE ON THE OPPOSITE SEX?
Hair - like beer - the darker the better, and red's also pretty good. Eyes, no real preference in what they look like, rather what they convey.

12. COFFEE OR ENERGY DRINKS?
Coffee, but energy drinks are OK in some circumstances.

13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PIZZA TOPPING?
Pepperoni and green pepper.

14. IF YOU CAN EAT ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
To quote the great Victor Sweet... oh, I won't do that. I'll say granola.

15. WHO IS THE LAST PERSON YOU MADE MAD?
Probably somebody at work.

16. DO YOU SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE?
A minuscule amount of Spanish, some Polish swear words, a few Norwegian words typical of black metal song titles like "death," "snow" and "mountain."

17. WHAT WAS THE FIRST GIFT SOMEONE EVER GAVE YOU?
How should I know?

18. DO U LIKE SOMEONE?
Oh, I'm just wild 4 anyone who likes 2 spell like Prince!

19. ARE YOU DOUBLE JOINTED?
No.

20. FAVORITE CLOTHING BRAND?
Hahahahahaha!!!

21. WHAT'S YOUR DREAM CAR?
A Light Cycle.

22. WOULD YOU FALL IN LOVE KNOWING THAT THE PERSON IS LEAVING?
I guess, but only if the person doesn't intend to break things off without a discussion as soon as the leaving happens.

23. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TELL SOMEONE HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU?
Let them know you're thinking about them.

24. SAY A NUMBER FROM ONE TO A HUNDRED:
47.

25. BLONDES OR BRUNETTES?
See number 11 - in the event of a tie, natural brunettes win.

26. WHAT IS THE ONE NUMBER YOU CALL OFTEN?
That's assuming I only call a single number often? Man, where did this quiz come from, Japan? My parents, I suppose, or The Wizard.

27. WHAT ANNOYS YOU MOST?
That is impossible to pin down, but poor communication is a big one for me.

28. HAVE YOU BEEN OUT OF THE U.S.?
Yes, I haven't had any in my pantry for years.

29. YOUR WEAKNESSES?
Good metal, good food, fake gore, cartoons, glamorous women with "issues."

30. FIRST JOB?
Bagging groceries and shagging carts at Dominick's Finer Foods.

31. EVER DONE A PRANK CALL?
Not in years. I always found screaming into the phone more amusing than trying to apply some sort of witty zinger.

32. WHAT WERE YOU DOING BEFORE YOU FILLED OUT THIS?
Finishing the "Six Feet Under" episode I started last night; sleeping before finishing.

33. IF YOU COULD GET PLASTIC SURGERY WHAT WOULD IT BE?
You know what would be cool? If I got my skull replaced with clear unbreakable plastic so you could see the brain squishing around. I would get that.

34. WHAT DO YOU GET COMPLIMENTED ABOUT MOST?
My thinning hair.

35. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF ALCOHOL BECAME ILLEGAL?
Buy it on the black market once in a while.

36. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY?
Food, folks and fun.

37. HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU WANT?
For dinner? One would suffice. To do my housework? One could do it if I didn't let it sleep.

38. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
My middle name is from two of my great-grandfathers.

39. DO YOU WISH ON STARS?
Not anymore.

40. WHICH FINGER[S] IS YOUR FAVORITE?
Badmotorfinger.

41. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY?
Jesus. This quiz is definitely Japanese. I think it was like a month ago, I was watching "The Sea Inside."

42. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
No.

42. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Shaved turkey breast.

43. ANY BAD HABITS?
Too many to list here.

44. WHAT IS YOUR MOST EMBARRASSING CD ON THE SHELF?
I am not embarrassed of any CD I own. Why would I own it? The concept of a guilty pleasure is foreign if you grow up liking music that is inherently uncool or otherwise disreputable.

45. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
No, I'm a windbag and a weirdo.

46. HAVE YOU EVER TOLD A SECRET YOU SWORE NOT TO TELL?
Yes, but in my defense I can't recall doing it in a context where it would really matter.

47. DO LOOKS MATTER ?
Yes. Some people just look skeezy, and such self-presentation combined with skeezy speech and skeezy behavior is often a good indicator that those people are indeed skeezy.

48. HOW DO YOU RELEASE YOUR ANGER?
The Haunted's debut... by the time "Forensick" comes on, I'm usually pretty chill.

49. WHERE IS YOUR SECOND HOME?
My parents' house or Barry's couch.

50. DO YOU TRUST OTHERS EASILY?
Usually... unless they seem skeezy or have two first names.

51. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY AS A CHILD?
My Star Rider.

52. HOW MANY NUMBERS ARE IN YOUR CELL PHONE?
An even 50. I hope I never lose it, I will be screwed.

53. DO YOU USE SARCASM?
No, never.

54. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN A MOSH PIT?
Have I ever. I usually stand at the back of them now for better sight lines and breathing room, but occasionally get pushed in and have to battle my way out. It's all fun until the inevitable little sweaty dude with no shirt slimes me.

55. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A GUY/GIRL?
Intelligence, wit, compassion, energy, ethics, interest.

56. WHAT ARE YOUR NICKNAMES?
Some like to call me El Jefe or Jefu, and my cousins used to call me "Diamonds" and "Rubies" alternately (I have no idea why), but I don't really have a formal nickname.

58. DO YOU UN-TIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Yes.

59. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
Moose Tracks... this was on another quiz.

60. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE COLORS?
The secondaries (green/orange/purple), brown, grey and black.

61. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BAND?
Of currently active bands, it's a tie between Katatonia and Blind Guardian, unless one of their new albums sucks (doubtful).

62. HOW MANY WISDOM TEETH DO YOU HAVE?
None. The bastards took them all.

63. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS?
No, not everyone has a computer.

64. WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Some terrible comedian on the TV in the other room. I'm going to turn that off right now.

65. LAST THING YOU ATE?
A coupla peanut butter cookies.

66. LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
I left a voice mail for Funk Dracula, who may want to listen to it.

67. WHAT'S THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ON THE OPPOSITE SEX?
Their head - face, hair, eyes, all that.

68. FAVORITE THOUGHT PROVOKING SONG:
"Clean Today" by Katatonia.

69. FAVORITE THING TO HATE:
"Hard music," "heavy rock," "active rock"... in other words, False Metal. The majority of "hard rock" you can hear on the radio.

70. FAVORITE DRINK:
Margaritas.

71. FAVORITE ZODIAC SIGN:
Sagittarius - it's a fucking centaur with a bow and arrow. Lions, bulls and virgins can't really compete.

72. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SPORT?
Rollerball.

73. WHAT IS YOUR HAIR COLOR?
Brown.

74. EYE COLOR?
Mine? Brown.

75. DO YOU WEAR GLASSES?
Sunglasses, when warranted. Not at night.

76. SIBLINGS?
None I know about.

77. FAVORITE MONTH?
October.

78. DO YOU LIKE SUSHI?
Yep, never had any I didn't (I'm sure it's out there).

79. LAST THING YOU WATCHED?
"Six Feet Under" episode 35.

80. FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR:
Oct. 31.

81. ARE YOU TOO SHY TO ASK SOMEONE OUT?
Yes, unless I really, really, really like them. I average about once every four or five years.

82. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Autumn.

83. KISSES OR HUGS?
Hugs rule. Kisses are better, but only from certain lips.

84. RELATIONSHIPS OR ONE NIGHT STANDS?
I'd prefer the former, not in the plural.

85. WHO IS THE MOST LIKELY TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS?
Me, right?

86. WHO IS THE LEAST LIKELY TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS?
Some kid in Nigeria whose family's land was destroyed by Shell.

87. BIGGEST FEAR?
Watching certain moments of personal history repeating themselves.

88. IS ANYONE IN LOVE WITH YOU?
In love? With me? I think at this point, I can safely answer no.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Jeffe,

No matter what happens, I shall always love you. The world should know the wonder and the joy that is Jeff... and I shall tell them, using interpretive dance.

2:27 PM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should like to collect your hair as it thins.

3:34 PM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait until you get to my world. I looked at my comb today after just a couple passes and I could have made a Morlock mask out of what had abandoned my head. I'm starting to look like goddamn Jon Lovitz. I also miss Sealab, a little more each day. Hesh wants married sex. I'd rather have a virgin than a horse any day. Victor Sweet knows what he is talking about my man.

4:44 PM, March 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home