1.09.2006

Look back in languor

So, new blogger yeti betty (hiya!) insinuated that I had filled out one of these year-end survey thingies. I don't want her to be untruthful, so for the first time in world history, I join a bloggers' trend. A look back at 2005:

1. What did you do in 2005 that you’d never done before?

Travel alone internationally.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I did, and I already have.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Nope, unless it was a secret birth.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No, unless you count Mitch Hedberg. No one I knew personally, thankfully.

5. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?

An unselfish, intelligent, witty, complex and somewhat mentally stable girlfriend.

6. What countries did you visit?

The U.S.A. and Canada.

7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

April 15... the first time I was dumped in nine years. It was also "Tax Day" and, according to the calendar in the then-new Fantômas album, "That Sucks Day" (followed on the 16th by - of course - "Rekindle Your Romantic Self Day").

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Finding and buying a lovely condominium and moving into it.

9. What was your biggest failure?

To read the proverbial writing on the wall, time and time again.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing physical.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

A condo.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My parents, without whom none of my plans would have happened.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Oh, don't make me name names. You can probably figure that one out.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Gas, car repairs, women, smokes, booze, CDs, concerts and a down payment.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Several ill-fated love interests, new work opportunities, seeing Agalloch live.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005?

"Cassandra Geminni" by The Mars Volta - all 31 minutes of it.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder? Exactly the same, actually. Just slightly less hopeful.
ii. thinner or fatter? Oh, definitely fatter.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer indeed.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Enjoying the moment.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Thinking.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

Hopefully in a coma, to be revived on Dec. 26.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005?

I actually came close, but as we all know, for you to be "in love" means not only that love is something located outside of you, but that someone else is there with you. So, no.

22. How many one-night stands?

Never had 'em, never will.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

A four-way tie: "Deadwood," "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," "Six Feet Under" and "The Shield."

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Hate is far too strong a word. Suffice it to say my short list of people who I wish to never see again has unfortunately lengthened.

25. What was the best book you read?

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" by J.K. Rowling.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

The Meads of Asphodel.

27. What did you want and get?

This is a vague question... I got most of the assorted material items I wanted, I suppose.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

"Sin City"

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you (optional)?

The day I turned 30, I woke up to an astounding voice mail from a certain young lady verbalizing something I'd wanted to hear from her for most of the 4+ years I'd known her. Went out to breakfast with my parents. Rode in Dad's new Mustang. Burned some CDs. Confirmed that my ears didn't deceive me regarding that voice mail. Hung out at Casa de Brice/Pingitore/Kalivoda. Drank some beers. Probably watched something sleazy. Went to bed surrounded by balloons and, briefly, very happy.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not getting rear-ended and missing the Eels show.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?

Aging metalhead meets hygienic slacker.

34. What kept you sane?

St. John's Wort and other herbal supplements.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I prefer to "fancy the most" women I actually know, but for runners-up among the semi-famous I'll nominate Kate Winslet, Floor Jansen, Sarah Vowell, Devon Aoki, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Misty Mundae, Björk Gudmundsdóttir, Pink, Sarah Silverman, Meiju Enho, Julia Stiles, Catherine Keener, Missy Suicide, Cyndi Lauper, Jeanne Tripplehorn and Natalie Portman (post-head shaving only).

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

Probably the severe undertrooping of our political puppet initiative in Iraq and the subsequent endless tours of duty it has awarded those families unfortunate enough to be involved in the U.S. military. The national bipartisan video game scare, so eerily reminiscent of Tipper Gore's ignorant anti-music smears from the '80s, comes a close second.

37. Whom did you miss?

Friends and family who live far away, those ladies who ultimately deemed me inconvenient to their bustling lifestyles, Orphaned Land at ProgPower USA VI.

38. Who was the best new person you met?

I guess I met some cool people at Day of the Equinox, but didn't establish post-concert communication.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:

You can't change anyone's mind but your own, and you would do well to remind yourself of that.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

"Look another year went by, they keep passing by
God damn I didn't even die
Too old and slow I've grown, well I fought time but lost
To criticize and judge, how did I end up here?
With these standards I'm forced to love, make me disappear..."
[Dredg, "Matroshka (The Ornament)"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home