12.17.2005

TV causality

Hokay, now I'm hooked up. Cable, internet, the whole fruitcake. This new computer I'm typing on right now can apparently record a damn television signal and allow me to edit video content. Already burned my first DVD - a copy of the awe-inspiring "Meat for Satan's Icebox". Oh, sweet, sweet technology. (Now that you can't smoke anywhere, I'll be staying in a lot.)

Until this morning, I was without a television signal, and that was no problem. See, I never really watched much TV at home for the last few years I lived with my parents. Even during prime time, Dad's need to watch TV in the evenings (especially the local newscasts) kept him in charge of the remote at all times. I pretty much had to go to someone else's house to watch anything, especially toward the end when my dad was sleeping in the family room every night.

Not a huge problem for most of those years, when "The Simpsons" was the only network show I made sure to watch. (I'd say "Futurama," too, if FOX hadn't so consistently screwed it in the right-after-Sunday's-NFL-game-number-two slot. If I didn't hate football before that, I do now.) But not too long after we got cable for the first time since we moved from Addison in 1987, "Adult Swim" started on Cartoon Network, and suddenly Sunday night was a treasure trove of SoulReaper-enjoyed broadcasts. Since then, I've added a number of programs to my repertoire, even hour-long weekly dramas with continuing storylines, the exact sort of shows I swore I'd never watch because they'd require me to be home on a certain day and time. At the moment, I only feel compelled to keep up with "South Park," "Lost," "My Name Is Earl," "The Office" and the Sunday favorites (the new "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" last week was amazing). But next month "The Shield" returns, with "Deadwood" not too far behind... and OnDemand has the whole second season of "Six Feet Under" right now... time came to get me some cable.

Until this morning, I made due with DVDs, mostly stuff I've had around but not watched or bonus material I never got to. Now I've seen all the pieces of Don Letts' surprisingly dull documentary "Punk: Attitude", I know everything about the making of the undersung "Bubba Ho-Tep" and can confirm that Julie Strain has always looked all weird and knobby with her clothes off thanks to the miserable "Witchcraft IV: Virgin Heart". Meanwhile, the nearby Schaumburg Library's AV section, while not half as good as Palatine's, has nonetheless provided me with such quality pics as "The Reflecting Skin", "Sssssss" and "White Collar Worker Kintaro".

I can't believe it's almost Xmas. I'll try to get myself in the mood with "Holidays of Horror", Macabre's cheery 1989 ode to Ronald Gene Simmons. Now, I am off to watch "Closer" by myself, as positive a Saturday night activity as I can imagine...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for piracy and new computers!

4:36 PM, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home