9.22.2005

Signs of the Fall

Yesterday at work, I was trying to make a phone call on my smoke break when two landscaping dudes came by. One was blasting a leaf blower, the other halfheartedly raking the leaves his buddy blew. Someone was also creeping behind them in a truck. That's at least three people moving those leaves. Mind you, there aren't many on the ground yet. But today is the first day of autumn, and I'll bet the Leaf Squad will be back to interrupt every cell phone call I try to make. On the bright side, summer is officially over.

For me, autumn is the real "most wonderful time of the year," simply because it feels more and more like Halloween every day. It's the only holiday I really care about. Really, what's the competition, fucking Valentine's Day? The 4th of July? May Day? Of course, there's the big one(s) in winter. My family's Catholic, but I'm recovering, so although it's always good to see the relatives for a bit, I can otherwise do without Christmas. I don't have anything against the holiday's tackier decor nor its more altruistic trappings, but every year Santa totes his sack of tinsel into your local Walgreen's well before October 31. That un-American scoundrel can't even give Thanksgiving a couple of weeks of glory before horning in on the retail action.

But I was rooting for Jack Skellington. You won't hear me bitching about Halloween coming to stores too early. Give me screeching plastic skulls with light-up eyes, paper specters, rubber bats, ceramic jack-o'-lanterns, orange spider rings, jolly scarecrows, crappy pre-fab kids' costumes, even those gross peanut butter candies. While I have issues with Disney characters recently usurping the traditional place of Frankensteins and Draculas and Wolfmen in home decorating, at least those people are decorating. If you stare at the picture below for long enough, I swear you will see a ghost.

Currently romping with: new Exodus, Drums & Tuba, Between the Buried and Me, Sigur Rós and, of course, Opeth... holding off on the "Corpse Bride" soundtrack until I've seen it. One day to go... and a new Cronenberg movie the week after. I'm like a kid on Halloween.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a schooner!

No, wait...

11:12 AM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger adverb1000 said...

My dad, the diabetic, was responsible for buying the Halloween candy every year when I was a kid. And he always bought the peanut butter candy. ALWAYS. I'm surprised our house wasn't egged.
And sadly, I've developed a taste for those horrible things.

11:13 AM, September 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a sailboat.

There are different types of peanut butter candy. If you're referring to the crumbly kind that's like a Butterfinger that's been left on the counter for a week with the chocolate scraped off, then I'm all for it.

12:00 PM, September 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what the hell j.ko could be referring to, but I'll tell ya. That peanut butter candy in the some orange, some black wrappers is the shit. And one time, three days after Halloween, K-Mart was selling that shit for TEN CENTS A BAG. So I bought FORTY BAGS for four dollars, and held onto them for another year. And then THAT Halloween, I just handed entire bags of that crap to kids who came knockin.

That was not the same year I handed out "Space Jam" laserdiscs.

4:58 PM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger adverb1000 said...

Yah, I'm talking about the ones in the orange and black wrappers. Those things get rock hard after a while. I can't imagine that those trick-or-treaters were very happy with you, Kyle.

5:14 PM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger SoulReaper said...

I like those candies, too. I just said they're gross because that seems to be the general consensus. (You knew what I was talking about, right?) I also don't mind candy corn. I fucking love Halloween.

Y'all should be sure to watch that Sigur Rós video. It rules.

11:20 PM, September 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Now I'm on board. Yeah, that stuff is like ambrosia. I never thought of it as peanut butter, though. In my head, it was like softer Bit O' Honey.

I guess my synapses, when it comes to candy, fire to the beat of a different drummer.

8:31 AM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home