2.12.2007

Stoopid Cupid

I've acknowledged the upcoming Hallmark holiday by stocking the player with a selection of great songs for all you swinging singles, bickering couples and creepy-ass threesomes out there. There are even some nice ones!

1. Anathema: "Temporary Peace" (A Fine Day to Exit, Music for Nations, 2001)
"There's so many, many thoughts when I try to go to sleep/But with you I start to feel a sort of temporary peace..."

2. Sentenced: "Cross My Heart and Hope to Die" (The Cold White Light, Century Media, 2002)
"My heart went down with you/At your funeral, I was buried, too..."

3. Cannibal Ox: "The F-Word" (The Cold Vein, Definitive Jux, 2001)
"All I wanted was grounds for understanding/I ain't greedy, but to hold your heart I gotta put my hand in..."

4. They Might Be Giants: "Ana Ng" (Lincoln, Bar/None, 1988)
"They don't need me here, and I know you're there/Where the world goes by like the humid air..."

5. Calexico/Iron & Wine: "A History of Lovers" (In the Reins, Overcoat, 2005)
"I asked my Louise would she leave and so cripple me/Then came a knock at the door..."

6. Agalloch: "A Desolation Song" (The Mantle, The End, 2002)
"Here's to love, the sickness/The great martyr of the soul..."

7. The Postal Service: "Nothing Better" (Give Up, Sub Pop, 2003)
"Don't you feed me lines about some idealistic future/Your heart won't heal right if you keep tearing out the sutures..."

8. Alice Cooper: "Millie and Billie" (From the Inside, Warner Bros. 1978)
"God made love crazy so we wouldn't feel alone..."

9. Ween: "Cold Blows the Wind" (The Mollusk, Elektra, 1997)
"One kiss, one kiss of your lily white lips/One kiss is all I crave..."

10. PJ Harvey: "Rid of Me" (Rid of Me, Island, 1993)
"Don't you, don't you wish you/Never, never met her..."

11. The Aquabats: "Lovers of Loving Love" (Vs. the Floating Eye of Death!, Goldenvoice, 1999)
"It's so hip to give you a kiss/And taste cherry ChapStick, aaaa-aahhh..."

12. The Fiery Furnaces: "Single Again" (EP, Rough Trade, 2005)
"My husband, he died and I laughed till I cried/Oh, to think I was single again..."

13. Katatonia: "In the White" (The Great Cold Distance, Peaceville, 2006)
"And now that you're here/It becomes so clear/I have waited for you always..."

14. "Weird Al" Yankovic: "Since You've Been Gone" (Bad Hair Day, Scotti Bros., 1996)
"It couldn't hurt any more if you shoved/A red-hot cactus up my nose..."

15. The Smiths: "I Know It's Over" (The Queen Is Dead, Rough Trade, 1986)
"'Cause tonight is just like any other night/That's why you're on your own tonight/With your triumphs and your charms/While they're in each other's arms..."

16. Man Man: "Skin Tension" (Six Demon Bag, Ace Fu, 2006)
"I know I'll never be the man that she thinks she really needs/But it don't stop me from trying to be..."

17. Sonata Arctica: "San Sebastian (Revisited)" (Silence, Spinefarm, 2001)
"When I'm old and gray, I remember that day/When she came, that perfect dame, and she blew me away..."

18. The Perceptionists: "Love Letters" (Black Dialogue, Definitive Jux, 2005)
"People search for this feeling 'til they're gray/So I couldn't let you slip away/Please give me a call someday..."

19. Eels: "I'm Going to Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart" (Blinking Lights and Other Revelations, Vagrant, 2005)
"You see, I never thought enough of myself to realize/That losing me could mean something like the tears in your eyes..."

20. Woods of Ypres: "A Meeting Place and Time" (Against the Seasons: Cold Winter Songs from the Dead Summer Heat, Krankenhaus, 2002)
"I hope it’s cold everyday where you are..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home