3.16.2009

Éireann go blog

As you may well know, I am adopted. Although my parents are both 100% Polish-American, I have no idea of my "true" heredity. I really don't have a problem with that, but I've of course always speculated upon it. My complexion makes me think I'm of Greek or some other Mediterranean origin, although that's also me wishing for a grandiose name like "Demitrios Papadapoulous" or "Archemedes Vougiouklakis."

Then there was that one time when, after hearing me mention this lack of ethnic identity, my grandmother suddenly said that I am Polish and Irish. When I asked how she could be sure, she cryptically answered that she "just knew." Is there some piece of my history which has been hidden from me? Was Grandma just being weird? Again, it really doesn't matter to me, but that comment has stuck in my craw ever since. Along with Italians, I've always gotten along with Irish folk, most likely because we all ended up in Catholic school together. Some of my best friends are at least part Irish. Plus, the Irish are responsible for some great music.

So, whether or not I can actually claim Irish blood, I suppose I can celebrate St. Patrick's Day with the best of 'em. Therefore, here are twenty songs paying tribute to the Irish people, their culture, their humor and their tenacity. I've naturally included all the major players in Celtic metal, as this is an underheralded field in both metal and world music. Celtic punk is also a personal favorite, so you'll see a fair representation from those ranks, along with some other stalwarts of the Irish/Celtic canon. I don't have any piquant comments for these, but instead included appropriate links which may provide some context. Take us away, Uncle O'Grimacey...



1. Dropkick Murphys (with Spider Stacy and Ronnie Drew): "(F)lannigan's Ball" (The Meanest of Times, 2007)
2. The Irish Rovers: "Dunluce Castle" (40 Years A-Rovin', 2005)
3. Primordial: "The Calling" (The Burning Season, 1999)
4. Sinéad O'Connor: "Paddy's Lament" (Sean-Nós Nua, 2002)
5. Thin Lizzy: "Róisín Dubh (Black Rose): A Rock Legend" (Black Rose: A Rock Legend, 1979)
6. Flogging Molly: "What's Left of the Flag" (Drunken Lullabies, 2002)
7. Cruachan: "The Middle Kingdom" (The Middle Kingdom, 2000)
8. The Pogues: "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Every Day" (Rum, Sodomy & the Lash, 1985)
9. Waylander: "Keen of Knowledge" (Reawakening Pride Once Lost, 1998)
10. House of Pain: "Top o' the Morning to Ya" (House of Pain, 1992)
11. The Tossers: "Finnegan's Wake" (Communication & Conviction: The Last Seven Years, 2001)
12. The Lord Weird Slough Feg: "The Red Branch" (The Lord Weird Slough Feg, 1996)
13. The Chieftains: "Boil the Breakfast Early" (9: Boil the Breakfast Early, 1989)
14. Tuatha de Danann: "The Wheel" (Trova di Danú, 2004)
15. Black 47: "Funky Céilí (Bridie's Song)" (Fire of Freedom, 1993)
16. Mael Mórdha: "Gealtacht Mael Mórdha" (Gealtacht Mael Mórdha, 2007)
17. Stiff Little Fingers: "Alternative Ulster" (Inflammable Material, 1979)
18. Geasa: "Spancill Hill" (Angel's Cry, 1999)
19. Young Dubliners: "Foggy Dew" (With All Due Respect: The Irish Sessions, 2007)
20. Loreena McKennitt: "The Old Ways" (The Visit, 1991)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

your Irish enough for me! thank for the playlist man, good stuff.

4:39 PM, March 19, 2009  
Anonymous Billy Swing said...

Having been to the Old Country, I'd dare to say you'd not only fit in but flourish there. Cheers!

11:17 AM, December 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home